My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore (Kinky Friedman)

Kinky Friedman: They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore

"Votes were being counted in a presidential election in *Benin*. The constitution rules that those aged over 70 cannot run, so neither the incumbent, President Mathieu Kérékou, nor his main rival did so."

The quote above comes from last weeks economist newsletter, just wondering how sad it is that news like that coming out of Africa actually makes one notice it, because as normal as it should as unusual it actually is.

The NY Times published a really interesting and detailed account of why the US faced barely any resistance coming into Iraq.

Also, I really liked the following op-ed by some Slovenian dude. He argues something that reflects my thinking to a large part, that maybe religion in fact is not misused by fanatics as much as it actually causes these fanatics to act the way they do (and I believe that christian values and principles which we for the most part (and, yes I know exactly who of my readers is cringing at this statement, but don't worry, no cat-calling) consider to be of a positive nature have been the cause of more deaths relatively speaking than any other belief in the history of mankind), making religion the perpetrator really not the abused victim.

I had to think of all this while staring at a picture of Jesus someone had pasted onto the window of the U-Bahn. To the regular features associated with Jesus on that magazine cover that same person had added some testicles and a rather funny looking Hip Hop beard. Not spectaculary funny or anything, but the point of all this, is that no one cares, the magazine which had been used has been out two weeks now, making it highly likely that it had been hanging there for about the same period of time. Now I am not saying I endors the ridiculing of other people's belief, I don't and actually would never paint a picture like that myself, but I consider it a blessing (that might actually be a bit blasphemous in this context, but hey... :d) to live in a society where people care as little about this as they do.

No comments: