My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Monday, September 11, 2006

Brave New World

There was a piece in today's New York Times that dealt with interrogation methods employed by the CIA. Shocking, that's all I can say. I cannot believe any person in his right state of mind can stand there and defend these techniques. A democracy just don't work that way.

I also re-read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, a book I can endorse whole-heartedly. I do have to admit that I liked it better the last time I had read it though - when I was 16 maybe - why I am not quite sure. What I know I disliked this time around - which might have completely escaped my notice last time - was the presentation of free-spirited sex as something degenerative. This complete moral condemnation of a non-monogamous society contained a little too much of certain conservative strains for me.

No comments: