My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Maybellene

Chuck Berry: Maybellene

Here are the best works of American fiction of the last 25 years according to a NY Times panel. Shamefully I have to admit that I have read only two of them, but I ordered myself three more on Buchticket (if you reside in Germany, you really should take advantage of something as cool as that site), so I can keep up to date on my reading.

I just finished Maureen Dowd's Are Men Necessary?. She is the only female op-ed on the NY Times. The book really is a collection of rather loosely connected essays. Some of it are of a very biological nature (supposedly men will die out in 10,000 something years, while women will not) and rather boring I thought. But she dwells on male-female relations quite a bit and more importantly on women's general role in society. That part is really interesting, this whole thing about how feminists during the sixties proclaimed complete equality, which failed, and how nowadays so many women appear dolled up, how feminism has taken a step backwards again.

While I do not share all of her assesments - especially her comdemnation of Hillary Clinton - and with the exception of the biological middle chapters a good book. Entertaining while at the same time providing some food for thought.

Finally, maybe it really is time for all of us to leave the wild. Truth to be told, I have no clue what I am trying to say with that.

No comments: