My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Monday, July 23, 2012

All the Pretty Horses

Cormac McCarthy's books were one of those too popular with hip people items I ignored during my school and university days - which I guess makes me a hipster really, except that I take care not to be hip enough to be a hipster, so where ever that leaves me. In this case I was terribly wrong. All the Pretty Horses easily was one of the better books I have recently read. McCarthy portrays a 16-year old boys quest for a life in the past, leading him and a friend on horseback into Mexico, in their backs a much more modernized United States. The novel is heavily populated with characters such as him - Faulknerian I would say or maybe simply human? - who act in a certain way not so much because they should or even - sometimes - want to, but because they simply have to and the consequences of these actions are nothing but an accepted byproduct. A beautiful novel about a man's (boy's) essential loneliness, his incapacity to fit in his own world, and his attempts to lead the kind of life he wants elsewhere.

No comments: