My photo
Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Chapel Hill, Boston, Istanbul, Calgary, Washington DC, Austin, Tunis, Warszawa and counting

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Being Jewish

So, I've started my experiment of being Jewish in Germany by wearing a Kippah now. I will wear this skullcap every time I leave the house for at least a week now. Honestly, I was disappointed by the beginning of this exercise though. Apart from stupid jokes by my friends I didn't hear one comment all evening. I did have the impression that some people - mostly punks or other blatantly left-wing guys - smiled at me more than they usually would have. It will be interesting how this will develop and I am kind of excited about it, but so far the experiment has been rather uneventful, which - considering I am trying to see how antisemitic German society - is good news.

No comments: